Re: [OM] Wide-angle zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide-angle zooms
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:18:03 EDT

>  The department I work for has a Canon EOS 500 (selected by my predecessor,
> not
>  me) for taking pics for the staff newspaper and the like.
>
>  Rather than ask for money to buy a new camera, lens, flash, etc I figure it
>  might be easier to just ask for a new wide-angle zoom lens to augment the
>  28-80 we currently have.
>
>  Does anyone have experience/opinion of:
>
>  Tamron 20-40 f/2.7-3.5
>  Canon 20-35 f/3.5-4.5 (there might be someone out there with both OM and
EOS!
> )
>  Sigma 18-35 f/3.5-4.5
>  Soligor 19-35 f/3.5-4.5

I work for the gov'mint where competency is judged not by job performance but
by how happy you can make the boss and staying out of trouble and not
creating any waves. A corollary to this is that if you do have to make a
decision make sure that there is someone else to blame if something goes
wrong(remember that excellence at doing your job is worth very little.)
Having said that the test report very much like the Canon 20-35 and even
prefer it over the prestige "L" 17-35 lens.  Go with the Canon although the
other would seem to work fine for group shots.  An if its a bad one, you can
always blame your predecessor.

Warren