RE: [OM] OT - Microtek Scanmaker 35T Plus 35mm Slide and Negative Scann

Subject: RE: [OM] OT - Microtek Scanmaker 35T Plus 35mm Slide and Negative Scanner
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:48:14 -0400
First to address the specific questions:

> I am interesting to know if can scan in good quality with contrast and
> details, good colors, what is the most magnification that you
> can do on a
> slide (for example if you scan is at 2400x2400 pixels you see
> the image very
> sharp ?

The optical resolution is 1950 dpi which gives you a scan from 35mm of about
3000x2000.

At that resolution you can easily resolve the grain structure (dye clumps ?)
of Kodak Elite 100 before you start seeing any "quantisation" effects due to
the scanner resolution so sharpness is not really an issue.

 or blur. What is the biggest resolution that you have
> scan a slide
> and see it not blur ? He has any distortion?

Distortion is not apparent, but I haven't actually taken measurements.

For stuff for the web I normally scan at 800 dpi, then resample to the exact
size I want in Paintshop Pro.

Scanning at maximum resolution is quite slow, the motor which moves the film
runs slower for higher resolution.  The scanning software which comes with
the machine allows adjustment of "exposure", increasing exposure (for dense
slides or negs) also takes longer.

Since this is the ONLY film scanner I have used the following comments are
purely subjective and only relative to my preconceived expectations (i.e. I
can't tell you if it is better/worse than scannerXYZ).

The scanner is 30 bit and doesn't have the dynamic range that I would like.
There is more "noise" in the blacks than I would like.

The fan and drive motor are rather noisy.

The film strip holders are rather flimsy.

I find that I can scan a transparency which looks good for projection
without making any adjustments for colour balance or exposure (the software
doesn't make any "automatic" adjustments either - good feature).

Colour neg film usually requires some minor adjustment - but I think this is
due to the nature of the film rather than the scanner.

Occasionally the scanner will stop partway through a scan - I believe this
is due to software rather than a scanner hardware problem.  I don't know
whether it is a problem with Win'95, PSP or the interface software
(ScanWizard).

Occasionally a scan will have a single channel missing, e.g. no red.  Once
again I don't know if this is related to the scanner or software.  The next
scan is usually successful.

I guess I have mentioned the bad points, but generally I have been happy
with the quality of the scans.

Most of the images on my web page (URL below) were produced with this
scanner, except the "random" selection which are resampled from Kodak
"flashpix" scans.

I would be happy to send a scan of the Kodak Q60 calibration transparency at
maximum resolution to anyone who is interested (1.5Mbyte jpeg).

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/