Re: [OM] (Fwd) What slide film to use ?

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) What slide film to use ?
From: Omer Nezih GEREK <gerek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:07:07 +0200 (MET DST)
On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Tom Trottier wrote:

> From:                 Omer Nezih GEREK <gerek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > Scan your films. Scan them as soon as you can. At the highest resolution
>
> Yeah, but do you store it on 1/2" tape? CD? 5 1/4" floppy? The digital
> formats may be dying faster than the dyes... We can still see photos
> made 150+ years ago, but there aren't many 2" TV tape machines left to
> play the oldest videotapes.  BTW, magnetic storage is very fragile,
> deteriorating over several years. CD-ROM is supposed to be the best so
> far.

CDROM seems to be the cheapest medium now. I believe recordable DVDs will
become very affordable very soon.

And, digital formats don't die. Only the medium dies. Even with the
magnetic media, there is the concept of routine backup. You just have to
switch to another storage device before yours dies. For example, if you burn
two CDs, use one of them, and if that one dies in, say, 30 years, you
copy your old backup to a new CD, or whatever available and probably
superior media you have, and start using the old one, etc. The binary
numbers are there. You cannot scratch, color fade, or spoil a "01100101".

In the Topkapi Palace project about saving the historical documents, the
first attempt was to store the images in microfilms, but the microfilms
spoiled more than the original historical documents in 50 years. Now we are
digitizing them.

The only problem with digitization may be the resolution and color perception
to obtain a digital image faithful to the original result of a wonderful
Zuiko, but off-line scanners (>3000dpi) become very close, even now.

OMer