Re: [OM] cameradirect.com

Subject: Re: [OM] cameradirect.com
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 31 Aug 1999 07:37:54 +1000
Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I recently found myself on this mailing list from cameradirect.com having
> > received a message saying that someone had forwarded my name and address
> > thinking that I might be interested.
> >

> I, too, found myself on the list... I suppose I ought to put a
> nospam return address of some sort to avoid this kind of thing.

That won't help---you have to give a valid address to be on the list.

Many lists no longer make the list of subscribers available to anyone,
in order to stop spammers harvesting it.

In general, *don't* reply to "unsubscribe me" aliases, as that is just
confirming that your email address goes to a real person, making it
much more valuable to spammers.

Best thing to do is trace the message and complain to the originating
site.

cjb.

--
| Christopher J. Biggs -|- R & D Software Engineer --  Stallion Technologies |
| chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -|- If it isn't broken, I just haven't touched it yet |