[OM] E6 Processors, Darkrooms and scanners

Subject: [OM] E6 Processors, Darkrooms and scanners
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:47:39 -0500
I'm making a huge assumption that there are a few techno-geeks on the list
that actually process their own E6.  Therefore, I'd like some input on
getting a new processor and any other recommendations that you might have.
I've been on a severe film buying/processing hiatus due to my unemployment
since November.  Well, contract and consulting jobs have kept the family
fed (for the most part), but they haven't done anything for my photo
expenses.  Well, things are picking up, finally!  And also, my marketing
gig is about to start so I will be able to do a couple things I've been
wanting to do for a while--like replace the blown engine in the Suburban
and/or trade it in on a new vehicle, buy some new camera equipment
(Contax?) and setup my darkroom (actually hire a contractor to finish the
basement).  :)

I have quite a stash of exposed 'chromes that need to be processed and I'm
thinking that it just might be time for me to go ahead and invest in an E6
processor.  I need to beable to process 35mm and 120/220.  Sheet film would
be nice, but not necessary.  Is there a decent processor in the under $1500
USD realm that would be foolproof enough for this dude who hardly ever
follows instructions and figures that close is good enough when it comes to
temperatures/times etc?  I want to beable to load the drums as instructed
and then pop them into the machine and walk away (so to speak).  Ability to
do push processing is crucial.  Ok, I figure that I will probably need to
watch a clock and push a button or two, but I want as many "human factors"
minimized or eliminated as possible.

This winter I'd like to have a contractor finish the rest of the basement
and build me a ultra-cool darkroom.  Karen has consented to losing a huge
chunk of basement for the darkroom so I'm looking at a room about 12x15
with a built in printwashing table and also a floating tray table.  (A
floating tray table, which goes by several different names, is a table
which holds several inches of water temperature maintained with the
chemical trays floating in it).  The table will be large enough to handle
16x20 and 20x24 prints.  Unless I come across one for sale, I'll have it
built out of wood and fiberglass.  I get the idea that it will stay with
the house.  Unless I get really crazy, the darkroom will be specifically
for B&W.  I'll leave the color stuff to digital printing.

Lastly, I'm going to be getting a new Mac with all the latest/greatest
graphical/image/web development gizmos and will need a slide/negative
scanner.  The Nikon Coolscan 2000 is a wonderful widget, but are there any
equivelent units that also scan up to 6x7 negs/trannies?  I really want to
drift over to medium format nearly exclusively and I'd like a scanner that
supports it.  I know of a huge drumscanner system for sale, but I have a
hard time justifying losing half of the basement to keep it.

Ken (ah! smell those fumes of stop-bath and fixer) Norton