Re: [OM] ...blades & bokeh....

Subject: Re: [OM] ...blades & bokeh....
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:10:35 -0700
The auto-diaphragm must be a big determinant in the number of blades.
My impression is that most manual/preset lenses have alot of blades.  My
old preset 105 2.8 has 14 of them, forming a near-perfect circle at all
settings.

The quick-return diaphragm is relatively complicated compared to a
manual one. . . .I think it took Asahi a couple of years to perfect
theirs after they brought out the original Pentax.  The first Canonflex
SLR's used a charging pin . . . . when you wound the film you also
pre-tensioned the diaphragm.  If more blades equals better optics, then
are most modern lenses a compromise?

Morgan Sparks