Re: [OM] XA problem (was Rebuttal on Repair recommendations)

Subject: Re: [OM] XA problem (was Rebuttal on Repair recommendations)
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:08:36 +0100
Keith Berry wrote:-

>It puts me in a quandary though. Do I spend $69 plus to repair the XA with
>the shutter that's running four stops slow after storing it for five years?
>I like the camera in theory but I did forget it for all that time. Would it
>be better to throw it away and put the cash towards a modern Mju (Stylus)
>with 12 months' guarantee rather than 3 for the repair? Or occasionally use
>it in its crippled state, ignoring the meter needle - or tackle the repair
>myself and *then* throw it away?

I *think* the XA uses a CdS cell rather than a silicon one, so if you've
stored it for that length of time the CdS cell might have gone to sleep,
causing the symptom you describe.  Try leaving it in daylight with the
cover open for a few days - that might resuscitate it.  Just a thought, and
it won't cost anything at all!  CdS cells suffer from a "memory" effect
which causes them to "remember" the light level in which they've been kept
for any length of time - in this instance your cell still thinks it's in
the dark and thus overexposes.  It maybe just needs some exercise - let it
see the light :-)

Regards
Richard

Richard Ross