Re: buying from oversease--custons? was RE: [OM] FS: Check this one, som

Subject: Re: buying from oversease--custons? was RE: [OM] FS: Check this one, some cool stuff there...
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:32:39 +0200
Acer Victoria wrote:

> I know that when I sold my Zuiko 75-150/4 to Europe, the buyer had a
> nasty surprise: 400f the price of the lens. Dunno if Ingemar ever
> managed to bypass that....

Well Siddiq, I suppose that Zuiko 75-150/4 you mentioned above, was the one
you sent to me, unless you have sold another one?
I remember it vaguely (a kind of self protection, I guess): Paying $105 for
the lens, shipping and insurance. No worries about that. But what did gave me
a worry, in fact I almost had an heart attack, was that the custom
authorities added their bit of cost. On top of that the authorities had added
tax on the custom duty cost, *then* they added another tax on the value of
the lens...!!!
I am not sure about the final cost (I have thrown that note) but in my email
to Siddiq, I mentioned I had to pay $48 extra, meaning $153 if I am right.
That would be an extra cost of 45.7%... Doesn't sound right, but as I said I
don't have the note left.

I did try to appeal against it without success.

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen