RE: (Fwd) RE: [OM] A Soft Answer Turneth Away Rays

Subject: RE: (Fwd) RE: [OM] A Soft Answer Turneth Away Rays
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:42:37 -0400
>I have read that if film is packed in xray shield bags, airport staff can
>increase the dosage to penetrate through the shield, and this may be more
>risky for the film than just sending it through unshielded.
>
>Can anyone confirm or refute this?
>
>Regards
>Ross Waite

I was standing next to the monitor of the scanner in a Swiss airport and my
film, packed in a lead-lined bag and thus supposedly "safe" was clearly
visible inside. I would have thought, if the lining shielded the film from
radiation, you would only see a black blob on the screen, since radiation
wouldn't penetrate it. Well, it did, all right! Either the lead foil lining
of my bag was no good, or they could adjust the dosis of the radiation
until something showed. Since that experience I gave up on "protective"
bags and fatalistically accept the scanner pass. I haven't noticed any
ill-effects yet.

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas / Venezuela