(Fwd) RE: [OM] A Soft Answer Turneth Away Rays

Subject: (Fwd) RE: [OM] A Soft Answer Turneth Away Rays
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:24:42 +0000
From:          Dinkar Jhalera <djhalera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:            owner-olympus <owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:       RE: [OM] A Soft Answer Turneth Away Rays
Date:          Wed, 18 Aug 99 11:41:00 PDT

I am relatively new to list. I have been following the various threads
for over a month but haven't written anything until now. So if I am not
following the proper etiquette in writing to these discussions let me
know.

I have some experience of airport scanners recently.  Here in the UK
there has been some discussions about the airport scanners.  About  a
month ago I flew from Heathrow to Cairo with OM1, OM2n and Mju-2 and
about 40 rolls of film. The films were Fuji Superia 200 ASA, Fuji Provia
100 and 400 and Kodak Elitechrome xtra colour 100.  The films I carried
them in my hand luggage in xray shield bags.  At Heathrow I had no choice
but put the bag through the scanner.

In Egypt I took local flights from Cairo - Luxor; Aswan - Abu Simbel; and
Aswan - Cairo. Each time the  luggage had to go through scanner before
entering the terminal and then before boarding the plane another scanner!
So 3 local flights and 6 scanner passes!!  I did not have the luxury of
hand searches!  I made it a rule before any flight if any camera had a
film in then I would take the lenses of and put the bodies into  x-ray
 shield bags.  I did the same with Mju-2 because I thought with its
plastic body it would offer even less protection then the metal bodied
Oms.

On the return journey back to UK at Cairo international airport the same
2 passes plus an extra one by British Airways before boarding! The shield
bags must have worked the BA staff asked me what I was carrying in my bag
because they could not see anything on their scanner!

In all I had 10 scanner passes so I was little apprehensive about the
cumulative effect on the film. But luckily the results look OK, at least
to me anyway.

Dinkar Jhalera