[OM] Macrocords 7P/5P mystery solved (well partially anyway)

Subject: [OM] Macrocords 7P/5P mystery solved (well partially anyway)
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:29:01 +0200
A while ago I asked the list a question about these two macro flash cords that I
saw on an Olympus price list, but didn't get any response. So I mailed the
question to the sales department of Olympus Netherlands, and never got any
reply. So my last hope was Olympus Japan and much to my surprise they
immediatedly responded. Well not straight away with the answers to my questions
but they replied I would soon hear from them but that at the moment the whole
company had a one week holiday :-0
Today I got the real response and at least part of my questions are now
answered. It seems that these 7P/5P Macro Cords are intended to use the F280/T32
flashes off-camera for macro photography with the OM-7(0)7. If you use these
flashes directly on the camera, or use the normal TTL Auto Cord F 0.6m or the
TTL Auto Shoe Cord T 0.6m, the OM-707 automatically sets the shutter speed at
1/100 and the aperture at F4, which obviously isn't ideal for macro (DOF too
small and flash output too high).
When you connect the flashes with the macro cords, you can select any aperture
you want (by using the Program Shift Knob, I presume). Wether or not the shutter
speed is still fixed at 1/100 remains unclear.
How these cords actually look like and how they work wasn't explained, but I
think it is safe to presume that these cords actually look just like the normal
TTL Auto Cord F 0.6m or TTL Auto Shoe Cord T 0.6m (has any list member ever seen
the macro cords?) and that the trick is done by a different wiring, possibly
just as simpel as the 'taping-the-flash-ready-contact' trick that can be done on
the OM-2n and OM-4Ti to enable certain features (flash at longer shutter speeds
than 1/60, use the memo function with the F280). Maybe an OM-7(0)7 owner can try
what the effect on the camera is when you tape the flash ready signal (the big
contact on the right hand side of the camera)? And of course for the e-SIF I'm
still looking for a picture of these cords. In the meanwhile I'll use the
picture of the standard F cord.

hnz