[OM] OM-G Focusing Screen

Subject: [OM] OM-G Focusing Screen
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:51:14 -0400
Justin,
Since I haven't seen anyone give you an answer on the list I'll give at
least part of it a shot.  But be advised that this will be akin to the
blind leading the blind. Perhaps someone who actually knows will give a
better answer.

The OM-G screen is definitely not meant to be user interchangeable.
However, looking inside my own OM-G it doesn't look like it would be
terribly hard to get out.  There appear to be two spring clips in the
rear and a single retaining clip at the front.  It looks like the front
clip is stationary but that's hard to tell since most of it is hidden
under the foam rubber bumper pad for the mirror .  I suspect that the
screen is inserted by pressing the back edge into the two spring clips
and compressing them enough that the front edge will clear the
stationary clip.  Then the front edge can be raised up and the spring
tension would push it forward into the front clip.  Getting it out would
be the reverse.  You either have to push at the front of the screen or
press the rear clips directly.

This might be hard and/or risky to do without just the right tool but,
if my screen was already damaged, I might give it a try.  I'm making a
big assumption here that you can somehow get a replacement screen.  If
it's not the same as the OM series user replaceable screens I would bet
that one of those could be easily modified to fit.  The replaceable
screens have a small tab on the front for a special "tweezer" tool which
is used to hold them.  If the screens aren't identical tt might simply
be a matter of trimming off the tab.

The next question is what's wrong with the focus.  Obviously, the
focusing distance between the screen and the film plane is different.
It occurred to me that if the previous owner had gotten the screen out
that perhaps he put it back in upside down. I don't know whether or not
this would be immediately obvious.  If the camera had been subjected to
a hard knock the lens flange to film plane distance could be off or the
mirror might not be at a 45 degree angle.  When the mirror is down it
rests on a small, flat pin on the right side.  There is also a small
rubber bumper under the mirror to take up the shock of falling onto that
pin.  If the rubber bumper is missing or damaged the mirror wouldn't be
resting at the correct angle.

This all begs the question of whether it's worth it.  I should think a
very nice G could be had for less than 100 USD.  Maybe you should buy
another and keep this one for parts.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachussets, USA

Justin Morrison wrote:

I am in need of information regarding the focusing screens used
in the OM-G.

I recently acquired one of these cameras from a friend and have found
after repeated testing, with multiple Zukio lenses, that the focus
is consistently and drasticly off. Also, there are several major
scratches
on the Matte-Microprism-Split focusing screen that lead me to believe
that
the internals of the camera had been tampered with.

Sure enough, the previous owner had tried to remove the focusing screen
at one point for a cleaning.

According to the local shops, the OM-G does NOT have a user
serviceable/swappable screen.

Question 1: Could the focusing problems be due to a misaligned focusing
screen? For example: The image is focused correctly in the view-finder
but blurry on film.

Question 2: Can the OM-G focusing screens (which do NOT have the metal
rim to protect the edges) be replaced with the standard "OM" screens
that are often featured on eBay? I am having extreme difficulty in
tracking down a screen made specificly for the OM-G camera.

Any help/suggestions/experience would be greatly appreciated.
I would hate to have this beautiful camera go unused any longer.

Thank you.

- -Justin