Re: [OM] Zuiko All Stars

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko All Stars
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 16:25:14 -0400
OK, here's my take. It relates only to lenses that I've owned, but that's a pretty good sample.

My favorites (* = Too expensive for most of us) Don't make me rank them......please.

35/2 - I keep coming back to this lens. I've had it for 15 years and keep putting it in the case, but it always seems to get back on my bodies.

90/2 & 50/2 - As I shoot a lot of macro, I've always been a BIG fan of these lenses, and the 90/2 makes a GREAT portrait lens.

*350/2.8 - Boy, I wish I'd never sold that one, but I couldn't put up with the weight at the time. And I only got $2k for it. :-((

180/2.8 - As above, I wish I'd never sold this one too. I used to shoot basketball with it, and the shots were consistently top notch.

21/3.5 - This lens also seems to get into my bag all the time, currently attached to a 16/3.5 fisheye on cemented rear caps. The images from this little gem (the 21) always stand out from the crowd on the slide table. And the 16/3.5 is nice too.

I haven't had much experience with Zuiko Zooms. I've recently gotten a 28-48/4, which is a nice size, but pretty slow for indoors. I had a 75-150 years ago, very under-whelming.

(I have no experience with the exalted 35-80/2.8. It's on my target list though.)

Aftermarket lenses:

Tamron 80-200/2.8 SP - You've got to see the images this ED zoom produces to believe them. Top drawer quality and a neck breaker. These are a great buy as a pro-quality zoom. There's no Zuiko with specs to match in nearby focal lengths.

Tamron 35-105/2.8 SP - Real nice. Better than the reviews that I've read. Not as good as the 80-200, but the colors and contrast are impressive. And the constant aperture makes it easy to focus. Just don't expect a small lens.

Skip