RE: [OM] Zuiko's vs. Leitz's ?

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuiko's vs. Leitz's ?
From: "Will von Dauster" <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:12:49 -0700
Giles asked:

<<Did you perhaps mean the 100mm f2?

(I had written:)

> 35mm f2.0 and 100mm f2.8 as comparable to the pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron and
> 90mm Tele-Elmarit (note: not the current model) respectively. The 50mm
f2.0>>

A reasonable question, but no, I meant the under appreciated 100 f2.8. The
gotcha here might be the lens I compare it to, the Tele-Elmarit, where I do
believe the Zuiko to be clearly better, actually. The current 90mm Elmarit-M
is another story; that lens is the finest 90 I have ever used.

I have a shot of a doe taken on one of my afternoon walks. She is standing
in the front yard of a neighborhood house. I happened to have the 100 f2.8
on my OM-3 at the time, loaded with Velvia film rated at ISO 40. I had to
shoot the picture wide open at 125th, as she was standing in the shade. The
resulting image shows every hair sharp at the plane of focus. A quick scan
of the doe is here (all images copyright 1999 Wilfred von Dauster):

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/doe.jpg

Of course, the .jpg does no justice to the original.

More conventionally, here is a shot of a construction site, at f8, 125th,
100 speed Elite II. Remember, this is handheld:

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/test1.jpg

And a close up scan of the, um, worker. Notice the rivets in the ladder
behind him:

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/test2.jpg

In other words, I believe the 100 f2.8 is an excellent lens. Maybe it is
just the sample I have?

Will von Dauster

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde