Re: [OT] [OM] Are You Ready For Some Football??

Subject: Re: [OT] [OM] Are You Ready For Some Football??
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:11:36 +0100
Jan wrote

>If you object to spam, contact your legislator and ask that any spam
>laws that are passed allow only "opt-in" or "by request" commercial
>advertisement, and that there are penalties for violations.

Here in the UK we have heavy penalties for unsolicited fax and phone calls
to numbers who have registered as unwilling to receive them.  Once the
number of junk faxes here reached 3 or 4 a day we registered our number and
the volume has dropped more or less to zero.  It seems to me that a similar
service for e-mail addresses is needed, though of course the international
nature of the Net makes that difficult to achieve.

>II am on a measured ISDN line, and I pay for
>each spam I receive.

UK telephone calls are metered, so we pay for them too.

> True, each one is a tiny amount, but it is to
>the point that I get more spam than desired email.

You get more spam than messages from this mailing list?  Crikey!  Actually,
I don't get much at all - 4 or 5 a week maybe at the most, usually in a
little flurry after a newsgroup posting and I can cope with that.  Most
originate in the US and supply a 1-800 number for response - rather
pointless since they can't be called from here.  I make a point of *never*
responding to spam, for then the spammer knows my address is genuine.  My
ISP operates a fairly effective spam filter too.

Another mailing list I'm on will only accept postings from e-mail addresses
that are also subscribers - this reduces the possibility of spam
infiltrating mailing lists and appears to be a feature of Majordomo software.

Cheers
Richard