Re: [OM] SC vs MC

Subject: Re: [OM] SC vs MC
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:46:45 EDT
Flare is just unwanted light bouncing around inside a lens that doesn't
contribute to your image. It  might come from 1/light hitting a reflective
surface inside a lens, 2/scratches, dirt, etc. on glass, 3/lack of lens
coating (as you mention), and 4/lens aberrations such as a second image of a
bright object inside your field of view. Multicoating of lens elements only
helps as to #3. And you're entirely correct, flare is an effect, not a cause.
One flare test that is used is to shoot the inside of a black box which is
mounted to a white wall. The difference between the densities on the negative
should give you some idea of the generalized flare resistance. A flare
situation is similar to this, i.e. when there is a bright source of light
either inside or outside the picture area that reduces the general contrast
of your photo. A hood can help if the source is outside of the picture area.
A perfectly flare resistant lens could be used to take a backlit portrait
with the sun also in it.

Warren

l>  I accept