Re: [OM] SC vs MC

Subject: Re: [OM] SC vs MC
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:18:40 -0500
I think the notion about MC filters pops up because one wonders whether a
"flare-type of light" might be "cleaned up" by a super MC filter. I accept
it that flare can't really be cleaned up by anything, but I don't totally
understand why because I really don't understand the nature of "flare
conditions."  In other words, I understand descriptions of what flare is in
a lens, but I don't really understand exactly what causes flare to happen.
Flare in a lens is an effect, not a cause, even though we sometimes talk as
though the lack of multi-coatings "causes" flare.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA