Re: [OM] re:(OM)Flash shoe repair

Subject: Re: [OM] re:(OM)Flash shoe repair
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:22:58 -0400
I had this problem several months ago and I took advantage of the condition to send My OM4 in for a complete CLA to John.

The list went through a similar thread a few weeks ago and it generated a LOT of heated discussion. Suffice it to say that you REALLY don't want to try and tighten the shoe. It requires removal of the top plate; not a trivial task to remove or to put back. And if you have to send your body to someone after an attempted, but aborted repair, it's likely to cost you 50-100% more than a standard repair due to "tampering".

Your options are to 1) live with it and don't mount a flash or use a bounce grip, 2) Send it in for repair & CLA, or 3) Do it yourself and possible ruin a $600 body.

It's up to you.

Skip

At 8/10/99 12:44 AM  -0500, you wrote:
At 12:07 AM 8/10/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>The flash shoe on my OM 4T has become loose.  I hesitate to put my T32
>on it for fear of doing damage to the camera.  Short of sending in the
>body for repair, is there any recourse other than to not put the flash
>on the camera?
>
>Gregg Iverson

IMHO no.  And please don't ask John H. for simple home repair instructions.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA