Re: [OM] 4WD OM carriers (was Random Spewage)

Subject: Re: [OM] 4WD OM carriers (was Random Spewage)
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 19:16:14 -0500
Tmoynihan@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Just curious:  What was the damage (if any) to the human participants?
>
> Inquisitively,
>
> Tom Moynihan
> Dallas, TX

We never had any human damage though it was close once when a Beetle
pulled in front of the M-88 tank retriever and had its nose flattened.
It was night, they had a few to many Leder Brau on board and just didn't
see the convoy.  Very impressive.

The other near miss was going to the forward alert site out of Graf on
those narrow, winding back roads.  An M-110 Howitzer's tracks would hang
off both sides of the road in some places leaving only the roadside or a
ditch to get out of the way.  A brand new RO-80 came around a curve at
an imprudent speed to see the muzzle of an 8" gun aimed at him.  Made a
very dramatic swerve into a freshly plowed beet field.  What a mess and
we couldn't stop since the Russians had just gone into Prague and we
were on a real alert.

Sorry no pictures.

W. J. (Jerry) Liles