Re: [OM] [ot] calibrating monitor

Subject: Re: [OM] [ot] calibrating monitor
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:31:56 -0500
At 11:21 PM 8/8/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>[this msg. is OT re. calibrating my monitor to scan (OM content!) will
>keep it short]
>Monitor: 17" Sony Trinitron. I've played a little with color temp so far.
>When I installed the scanner (Epson 636U), there was a gamma calibration
>thing where it asked me to match alternating bars of grey to get them as
>close to one shade as possible. I can run this prgm any time later also.
>Under "Properties," current setup is for Trinitron 9300K G2.2. That's
>fixed (ie I can't change the gamma or temp). After using screen at 5000K
>(had to turn up brightness/contrast) for a few hours, it looked good, and
>9300K looked awfully cold/blue. Do I go back, run the gamma calibrat.
>utility and set it to 1.8 or something? (current 2.1), even if the grey
>bars don't match?  Also, color temp can be varied continuously if needed.
>Thanks a million.
>

>/Acer Victoria

You can get more exact help on this from the newsgroups like comp.periph,
comp.graphics, etc.

Quick and dirty, you make your compromises along two lines:  how the
monitor looks in your room, and how it compares with your printed output.
Unless you sit in a dark room, ambient light changes all of the time.  Do
what looks good to your eye under relatively normal circumstances.  Get a
file looking good and see how it prints.  Is it way off?  Bad. But maybe it
won't be.  If it's close, try to make adjustments so that your print is
perfect.  What do you need to do to tweak the monitor so that it looks
similar to the print?  Do it.  This process also helps one to learn what
representative values on the screen can be predicted through to print.  For
me, highlights and colors are pretty predictable.  Shadow detail is always
iffy.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA