Re: [OM]baseboard Analyser [wasLeica vs Om

Subject: Re: [OM]baseboard Analyser [wasLeica vs Om
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 11:56:18 +0100
At 13:18 07/08/99 EDT, you wrote:
>This sounds like a wonderful device for Ilfochrome printing.  Does it work
>for color? And, sorry, I missed the name of the Analyser the first time
>around so could you please post it again.
>
>In a message dated 99-08-07 09:22:30 EDT, you, Richard, write:
>
>> Basically, you can meter up to 8 points from the baseboard image, and the
>>  Analyser lights an LED next to a grey scale for each one.

Hi Warren,

First off, it's simply called "The Analyser".  It also incorporates an
f-stop enlarger timer; we do a version without the timer called the
"ZoneMaster".

Both are primarily intended for b/w printing and are advertised as "b/w
enlarging meters".  While you can use them for Ilfochrome, there are some
caveats -

Most slides, especially on modern emulsions like Velvia, have a huge
contrast range and high maximum density, sometimes as much as 4 log.D.  Our
meters can't cope with a higher log.D than 2.55 (most b/w negs are around 1
- 1.5 log D)  Consequently, you often won't be able to analyse the densest
parts of the slide.  Having said that, highlights and midtones are usually
of most interest on an Ilfochrome print, and there's no problem with those.
 Getting deep shadow detail onto Ilfochrome can be fun anyway as I'm sure
you know only too well :-)  I've had burn in times of +5 stops and more
before now.

Of course, the grey scale also reads backwards on a pos/pos process...
However, the scale is removable so you could make your own Ilfochrome grey
scale and use that.

I have used an Analyser for ilfochrome with some success, but care is
needed for best results.  Similarly, you can use one for ordinary neg/pos
colour printing; using a diffuser to scramble the light I've been able to
produce 10x8's first off at a rate of 1 every 5 minutes in conjunction with
a Nova slot processor.

Best wishes
Richard

Richard Ross, BSc, PhD, LRPS