[really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)

Subject: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 22:40:57 -0700
In a former life, I used to work on spy planes. The SR-71 has a titanium skin. I don't know what the coefficient of expansion is for Ti, but when they park the SR-71, they pile sawdust up underneath it, because it leaks like a sieve when it is not at supersonic speed, which causes the Ti skin to expand due to friction heat.

I don't know why the Concorde doesn't seem to have the same problem. Perhaps because it "only" goes a bit over Mach 1.

Obligatory OM content: I talked a pilot into taking my OM-2 up with him in a U-2 on a non-classified mission. He took a number of shots by simply pressing the lens to his periscope, but for some reason, the results were nowhere near as good as the shots he normally took on 250mm photolithography film with his f 0.7 lens. That camera took up the entire cargo bay, and took two people and a special dolly to load/unload...

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229