Re: [OM] Leica jewelry OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Leica jewelry OT
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 09:25:08 +0200

>I am afraid I do not like it either, however there *is* a reason for the
>continuous changes.  It has to do with business cycles, consumption of
>goods, competetion, and barriers to competition.  In other words, it's part
>of the greater strategy to get more of your money from your pocket into
>"theirs."  Enough of our society has gotten hooked on having to have the
>"latest and greatest" that it has become profitable to continuously change.
>[Mount Soapbox]
>[Begin Rant]
>This is not incredibly new, but the business cycle for it has shortened.
>Token Olympus Content:
>I refuse to be suckered by this.  It's why I still have OM and Rollei
>hardware after two decades and why everything is 35mm except for a 645
>which takes the other standard:  120/220.
>[End Rant]
>[Dismount Soapbox]
>-- John

There speaks a man who has remembered at least some of his of his MBA
teaching (I'm 2 exams away from mine).

Resisting obsolescence is one of the reasons that I buy (or justify buying
anyway) things like OM and Mac.  I was really cross however when my monitor
developed a fault after only 15 months - I aim to keep what I buy for years
and years.

Chris