Re: [OM] OM in Encarta 99!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM in Encarta 99!!!
From: "C. Hertzler" <hertzler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:23:42 +0200
Doris wrote:

> Giles wrote:
> >
> > Thats not much of a compliment - to have an OM included in a an
> > encyclopaedia which
> > lists one of the properties of Titanium as  being that it disolves in hot
> > water.

 > What I know about metallurgy wouldn't fill a thimble, but...I was
>reading a bike magazine about the making of titanium frames, and
>there was mention of how the cuts in the drop-outs are made with a
>machine that cuts titanium with water under lots of pressure (which
>would mean hot water). Yes, I know it's being cut, not dissolved.
>Perhaps this was what they were alluding to ?

>                               *= Doris Fang =*

Doris,

these machines are called "water jet cutting machines". They work
with a pressure up to 4000 bar. The water is not hot. If they cut
metal or stone a abrasive (sand) is added. They can cut basically
everything, like wood or one inch of stainless steel or marble or
titan. The company I am working for makes such machines. I don't know
any further details, because I am developing big lasers (really big
ones, like a truck!), which are a competitive technology. "My" laser
can cut 40 mm thick steel and weld 30 mm. That is slightly more, than
is needed for OM cameras..

Christoph