Re: [OM] OT - Dessicants

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Dessicants
From: Malcolm Clay <ClayM@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 11:30:30 -0500
At 09:06 AM 8/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>
bin. However, they are not pure silica gel, but instead they are labeled as
containing "activated carbon and Silica gel"

As far as I know, the activated carbon serves to absorb chemical impurities--not moisture. I think it is inert in that it would not cause any negative impact to your camera bag's "environment." Unlike silica gel, you can't "recharge" it by drying in the low temp oven (I'm not sure I would try that with the plastic capsules you describe anyway) -- you have to "cook" the impurities out of carbon at a high temp and it will cost you more in fuel than to just buy new carbon. [OT: All of this from my Tanganyika cichlid care reading.]