RE: [OM] OT - Desiccants

Subject: RE: [OM] OT - Desiccants
From: "Riek,Chris" <criek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:25:21 -0400
Paul,

I've got several large fish tanks which use activated carbon in
their filters. I buy it in bulk and it comes in a large plastic
container. I have found out (from experience) that the activated
carbon is hydro-scopic, and if you leave the cover off, it sucks
water out of the air and gets all damp. In this way it is like the
silica gel, but it also absorbs chemicals and smells which is
why thy may have added it to your medication containers. I
think that they would do a fine job keeping your cameras dry.
The carbon I use for the fish is quite dusty, but since yours
came out of a medicine container, they shouldn't leak any dust.

-Chris Riek
Foxboro, MA