RE: [OM] How I shut down OM4Ti and OM3 ?

Subject: RE: [OM] How I shut down OM4Ti and OM3 ?
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:08:05 +0200
Hi,

> Hi, here writes Hannu from Finland. I'm new "member" the olympus-list.

Welcome to the list! :)

> There is my little promlem: how I switch of the OM-4 Ti and OM-3, because
> there is no power off button.

As you will undoubtedly have noticed, the LCD graph in the viewfinder
automatically turns off after 2 minutes. Principally spoken the camera is in
its "off-position" then, however, on some of the OM models (the non-Ti
versions) the camera still has battery drain.

> If I understand right I must turn the shutter speed ring posotiin "B" (the
> both camera) is it the only and the right way ?

This is what the Oly FAQ
(http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html - question
B3) has to say on that:
"Store the camera on B or red 1/60, so that accidental pressure on the
 buttons will not turn it on (NOTE: The OM-4T(i) only "eats" batteries
 because of this.  Its circuit is not problematic like the OM-4)."

> When the ring is position "B" and I put camera for example backpack and
> there something put shot button ring to the bottom, has be the battery
> empty soon ?

Since the camera is put in either B or mechanical 1/60 (i.e. the red 1/60),
all of the cameras electronics are turned off. In this mode you therefore
also won't see the LCD graph showing up when pressing the shutter release
button (hence, the protection against battery drain).

Now, as far as I know, you should only have to do this with the 4Ti to
prevent accidentally turning it on (like in the scenario you described),
when the camera is stored in a normal way there's no need to turn it off ---
the camera will do that automatically. A normal OM-4 (and some other OMs
such as the 2S and the 40) will still suffer from battery drain, and do need
to be turned off like this (or by removing the batteries).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Olafo