Re: [OM] Has anyone tried tele extenders for IS series?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has anyone tried tele extenders for IS series?
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:54:49 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 8:02 PM

> Yow! Anyone have the extender for sale? (imagine the
> possibilities<drool>). BTW, how does increase focal length w/o reducing
> light?
>
> /Acer Victoria

Actually there is a slight loss of light (half a stop maybe?), but not in any
way like
an ordinary teleconverter mounted behind the lens. I believe that whatever you
put in
front of a lens will affect amount of light (more or less). What they DO lose
though
is close focus. I believe the correct technical term for these front mounted
conversion lenses are "Galileo telescope". BTW, there are also frontmounted
wide angle
conversion lenses for the IS system which decreases focal length and macro
conversion
lenses. I do not know if the wide angle lenses also can be used with some OM
lenses,
but the macro lenses sure can (just ask FvL). All of these are HQ lenses,
something
which cannot be said about many of those cheaply built video conversion lenses
for
camcorders.

Per Nordenberg