Re:[OM] Lens Choices for Travel

Subject: Re:[OM] Lens Choices for Travel
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 18:01:30 -0400
 Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>My plan at this stage is to take my OM-4 body, 21/3.5, 28/2, 40/2, 85/2 &
>200/5, plus a light tripod with a small Manfrotto ball head fitted with a
>Uni-Loc quick release mechanism.
Snip
 >- substitute a 70-210 (which I would have to buy) for the 200/5 ( no real
>loss of speed but maybe greater flexibility?)

I have taken the 200/5 on one of my trips to Austria and the 70-210 to Japan and
Scotland.  I have taken my OM2000 as a second camera for my Scotland trip and my
only camera twice to Japan.  I have never had my first camera failing, but when
I traveled to Europe for the first time, I took the OM-4T and the M-1 with me.
Since I lost my glasses in Salzburg, I could only use the OM-4T with a dioptric
correction knob afterward.  Then I had an accident in Bratislava, in which my
M-system 50mm/1.8 lens fell on the stone floor.  I could not remove a filter
from the lens.  I was lucky that the rear end was not hurt.  It seems that only
during trips, one experiences such accidents.

For my future trips overseas, I am leaning to taking my 100mm/2.8 plus the B300,
a front-mounting 1.7x teleconverter from Olympus.  It is much easier to use the
front-mounting TC in the middle of shooting something as opposed to the
rear-mounting TC.  Besides, the 100mm+B300 combo is easy to hand-hold.  With
this combo, you do not lose as much of light as you would with the rear-mounting
TC.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/