Re: [OM] OM77 complaints [was IR film etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM77 complaints [was IR film etc.
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:05:11 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-22 21:34:02 EDT, Chuck wrote:

> Ok, I am a new member of the list, and I am trying to keep up :O)
>  In a few messages, I have heard some less the pleasant remarks about
>  the OM77-AF. Can anyone give me a reason for this? Are you comparing
>  it to other AF cameras on the market? Or other Olympus equipment?
>  I own two OM77's and have bid on a thrid body. So far they has been the
>  best camera I have used. I have a few manual focus Olympus cameras too,
>  but the OM77 is my favorite.

I also have two 77 bodies. On the good side the 70-210 zoom is one of the
sharpest around but curiously never made for regular OM cameras. Also a 28-85
zoom is available, which in not available to regular OM bodies. It takes the
F280 flash for simplified FP flash if you don't want to use the built in
flash. Other AF cameras took some time to include a built in infrared
focusing beam. There is full viewfinder information as to aperture and
shutter speeds. It can take regular Zuikos in a pinch.

But there are some things that I can't stand and one of these is that there
is no exposure compensation because of the automatic DX setting.  I think
that one of the essentials the ability to vary exposure. Also I have an
incredibly difficult time using the manual focus--it's not just precise
enough for me. The work arounds are sort of kludgy--I have to point it at the
sky or a dark spot and push exposure lock to vary the exposure. But the AF
lock works well enough.

I'm sorry but it just doesn't show the genius of the OM1, 3 and 4 series even
though it was intended to be an amateur camera. I use mine mostly for family
shots with C41 film in it.

But if it works for you great. The whole point, as George W. would say, is to
push that chair away from the desk and go take some photos.

Warren