Re: [Fwd: [OM] 200/4]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: [OM] 200/4]
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:25:15 -0400 (EDT)
> >> In my tests with laser pointer, a OM-1/200/f4/winder combo was floppier
> >> than a wet noodle.  I'm not sure I'd use a winder for anything other than
> >> handheld work anymore.
> >
> >I wonder if it would make any difference to use a motor drive instead.
>
> It might.  I got more acceptable results with the combo above using the
> telephoto lens support, but it is an unwieldy combination.

I would suspect that lenses which have their own tripod mount would be
unaffected by a motor drive.  It would make sense that adding a winder
or motor drive between the camera and the tripod would decrease stability,
just like raising the centre post of the tripod would.

>                                                       Ironically, I
> got into winders in order not to have to re-compose all the time when
> bracketing during macro work with camera and winder mounted on tripod.
> When I improved my tripod, I didn't have so much trouble winding by hand
> and not goofing up the framing and focus. :)

The only reason that I find a motor drive useful for macro work is that
it lets me keep my eye in the viewfinder while I continuously re-focus and
re-compose on live (ie. moving) subjects.  The winder isn't usable since
it won't fit when using a focusing rail.
                                -mark