Re: [OM] Sharpie

Subject: Re: [OM] Sharpie
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:51:35 -0700
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx

Kelton writes:

<< Another reason not to buy on eBay, (if we needed another one): you can't
pass an alcohol swab over the corners of a camera or lens you're considering,
until it's too late. >>

You are assuming (by saying "until it is too late") that there is no return
on goods improperly described on ebay...

Another tool to wield is feedback, but this probably only matters to people who already have some.

But don't threaten. First, have a settlement in mind, then present it as, "If we can agree on this, I'll be happy to leave positive feedback for you," leaving the implied threat of what will happen if they don't come to terms.

I once received an 8" telescope described as "perfect glass" and "a little rust on the legs." When I got it, the glass was far from perfect, and the tripod legs were covered with rust. I asked for $100 back, or return for full refund including all shipping both ways. He sent me $100, and I was satisfied, if annoyed.

Anyone with good feedback is not likely to be a charlatan, but a lot of people simply don't know how to properly describe condition.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229