Re: [OM] Om2sp problems, ext. tube ?'s

Subject: Re: [OM] Om2sp problems, ext. tube ?'s
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 06:04:16 EDT
Ron writes:

<< 1) I recently purchased a used OM2sp.  It works just fine in terms of
 exposure, but the shutter speed indicator in the viewfinder is way off.  It
 seems to indicate a shutter speed that is several stops too slow(often
 1/2 -1/15 second when I know that it should be 1/60 or more), but the actual
 speed when I click the shutter is apparently accurate since the exposures
 are dead on when I process the slides. >>

Ron,
       The OM2SP meter displays readings of light passing through the
partially silvered main mirror to a small mirror that reflects the light to
the normal OTF sensors mounted in the base of the body. One possible source
of dispaly errors, is if the small mirror is not returning to its correct
position so it does not reflect at the correct angle to the sensors, hence
reducing the light level. In auto mode actual exposures would still be
correct since the light is metered off film during the exposure. Note : In
manual mode the readings would still be in error if it is a mirror problem.
Suggest you check if the secondary mirror is sticking in any way.

        Your second question about slide copying has many different
solutions.
Would recommend that you use Kodak Ektachrome Slide Duplicating film, ** with
suitable color correction filter pack **  depending on light source. If you
are going to do a significant amount of copying buy the bulk film it is very
much cheaper.
        Your light box probably has poor color temperature for duplicating.
(Low cost light boxes often use flourescent tubes.)  I used to project light
from a slide projector (higher color temperature than normal incandescent)
onto a diffuser placed behind the slide for a light source, but now use OTF
Flash with T20 & 0.6M remote cord (and a heavy diffuser to cut light). The
flash has a very high color temperature so filtration is important depending
on film type. Don't place the diffuser too close to the slide and place a
shield around the diffuser to minimize flair from stray light getting into
lens.
        The cheapest lens option for copying is probably a reversing filter
ring with standard 50mm lens or even a 50mm and supplementary lens set. I
have always used my enlarger lenses on bellows as these work almost as well
as proper macro lenses. Extension tubes with standard lenses are not very
good for flat field copy work.

Regards,

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx