Re: [OM] Zuiko MC 90 / f2 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko MC 90 / f2 macro
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:27:45 EDT

> BTW, the front dings take a very small bite out of the front rim directly
>  inward, along the lens axis.  The "dent" intrudes into the outside filter
>  thread race.  The result is that filter threading and accessory attachment
>  is a bit difficult.
>
>  My question:   What tool should I get to chase the threads out?  It's like
>  I need a tap to re cut the threads in 2 little places.  At Fargo
>  Enterprises, I see a lens vise and a set of lens pliers.  There's no dent
>  to remove, so I don't think that would work.   Any ideas?
>
>  Skip

For very small dings you can run the corner of a small file or screwdriver
thru the thread a couple of times as the thread metal is sort of soft.  This
will still leave a rough spot that will make using filters difficult though.
Another solution, also imperfect, is to attach a filter without glass. Go to
you local camera store and ask to look in their used filter drawer and try to
talk them out of a filter with chipped or broken glass for free. If you buy
some film or some other doodad, they might do this for you. Take out the
broken glass and permanently attach this to your lens. You might aim for high
class and find an old B&W filter--which are made out of brass. There is some
natural lubrication properties between brass and aluminum so you can improve
on the original somewhat.  Also because 90mm is a mild telephoto, there
shouldn't be any vignetting with the filter "extension".  Good luck and enjoy.

Warren