Re: [OM] 200/4

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/4
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:11:49 -0500
At 08:10 PM 7/16/1999 -0400, Doug you wrote:
>I'm wondering what the consensus is regarding this lens, or whether there
>even is one.

I think the 200/4 is among the "quite good" Zuikos. It doesn't rise to the
level of the very finest, but it produces fine images.  I too find that it
works well with the telephoto lens support, as folks who've read my posts
about shutter shudders will recall ad nauseam.  Since I don't find it to
surpass the 85-250 at the 200mm focal length, mine has been "relegated" to
macro work with short extension.

Gary Reese's tests actually vindicate this lens with the OM-2S/4 bodies.
If you shoot with an OM-1, the Bogen telephoto lens support helps a lot,
and it may improve results with the OM-2S/4 bodies as well.

Physically, I think it is a beautiful lens.  I have a deep appreciation for
the magic of Zuikos as objects of efficient and attractive design.

>And what about the 2xA converter?  Someone in the archives suggested you
>could *hand-hold* it with the converter attached!  That would be
>something:  a 400mm lens that didn't require a tripod...

Never in a million years ... ;-)

>In short, I'm wondering what I've bought.

I think you'll have a pleasant time finding out.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA