[OM] Rings Around The Mount

Subject: [OM] Rings Around The Mount
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 99 11:00:11 -0700
Greetings Zuik's: I've been away from the list for several weeks, but
read the recent "all acer" issue of the digest. Perhaps my question has
already been discussed recently: I notice that most of my Zuiko lenses
have a one-piece lens flange (for lack of a better term. I'm referring to
the mounting portion of the lens that, on most lenses, is bead-blasted
and inscribed with the depth of field markings). However, on some lenses,
the flange appears to be a two-part item, with the DOF markings on a
bead-blasted portion that is set in a MM or two, and an additional smooth
flange behind the DOF ring that actually mates to the camera's lens
mount. What's up with that? Why do some lenses seem to have a
double-flange, while others have a single flange? Is this a difference in
dates of manufacture? Or a difference between lens lengths? All replies
appreciated. (Acer, if you want to send, say, several dozen replies on
this subject, why not do it off-list and I'll summarize your thoughts in
a single email for the list to read.)