Re: [OM] OT Req suggestions for gift photo book

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Req suggestions for gift photo book
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:26:52 -0400
At 09:23 PM 7/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>My wife is looking for a book or books for a high school graduation gift  to a
>young lady who is very seriously interested in photography.  She believes that
>this girl will study photography in college.  Unfortunately, my wife doesn't
>know whether her interests are fine art or photojournalism.  My wife was
>thinking of the 3-volume Ansel Adams Photography Series.  I agree that this
>series is an outstanding foundation to build an real understanding of the
>technical aspects of film-based photography upon, and Ansel slips in a good
>deal of the aesthetics between the lines.  However there might be other books
>to consider, given the facts above.  Any suggestions?
>
>Gary Edwards
>Arlington, Texas USA

Not knowing if the young lady is of a technical bent, I might prefer a
monograph that would inspire.

Taschen has a great new series of 3 oversize beautiful books for only $35. I
have the Edward Weston and August Sander; highly recommended.

For more modern stuff, consider Koudelka's 'Exiles'.

I buy a lot of my books from www.photoeye.com.

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.