[OM] 35-70/4 with play in it ; fix needed...

Subject: [OM] 35-70/4 with play in it ; fix needed...
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:59:13 +0200
Hi,

Unfortunately as of a while ago my 35-70/4 has started to develop a
significant amount of play in it, right where "the mount is connected to the
rest of the lens" (sounds a bit vague, but I don't know exactly how to
describe it better).

When looking at it, it appears it can easily be cured by tightening the 3
screws in the mount, however, such is not the case as they are already
tightly screwed in and don't go any further.

A while ago I consulted Hans about this and he gave me some rough
experiences from when he tightened his 50/3.5 macro lens. Apparently it's
important to look really well where each pin (etc.) goes, also some things
(DOF button etc.) apparently are spring loaded, so there might be a risk
that these buttons shoot out when untightening the mount.

Is there anyone (John?, anyone else?!?) who can shed some light on how to go
about this in general, and if possible, how to particularly cure this zoom.

After the bad events that happened when I tried to service the 300/4.5
myself, I'm a bit hesitant to see another beloved OM family member get
KIA... Nevertheless, if I leave the lens "as is", the play might get too bad
and result in far worse results, so I think the lens should definitely be
tightened. The question is now, should/can I do this myself, and how?

Also, what kind of screws are used on the inside of the Oly lenses, are they
the same type as the cross heads in the mount? Finally, are there any
specific pitfalls to be careful with (the fact that it's a zoom might mean
it has a complex lay-out)?

Cheers!
Olafo