[OM] Digital depth of field - C2500 -Reply

Subject: [OM] Digital depth of field - C2500 -Reply
From: JOEL BLACKWOOD <JOEL-BLACKWOOD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 17:05:49 -0500
Of course, I don't think that problem exists in the SLR cameras with digital
backs (Fujix, Nikon, Minolta,  and Canon all have "normal" slr bodies
grafted to a digital back).  Besides, the ultra short lenses are usually
found on the low-end consumer models, which are sold as E-mail and
web picture cameras.  The market at which these cameras are aimed
probably would not include anyone who knows what depth-of-field is.

>>> "Bau Struye" <Bau.Struye@xxxxxxxxxx> 07/09/99 12:53pm >>>
I read somewhere that since the digital cameras use shorter lenses
(starting
around 6mm, I think), their depth of field is MUCH greater.

Unless one is doing macro work, this would seem to be a big
disadvantage to me
since using depth of field obviously gives you a tremendous creative tool
for
isolating subjects etc...

Can anyone comment on the depth of field differences between digital
and film?

On the positive side, the one picture I saw of the 2500 (on John's web
site)
looks like Olympus may finally give us a digital tool that looks and possibly
feels much more like a solid modern day OM setup.  Does anyone know if
there is
a web site with more info on that new camera?  Has anyone even used
it?

Thanks a lot

Bau Struye, Los Angeles, CA.