RE: [OM] Focusing screen characteristics: OM 2-x series vs. Beattie?

Subject: RE: [OM] Focusing screen characteristics: OM 2-x series vs. Beattie?
From: Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:53:47 +1000
Thanks Jan

Your suggestion is probably the only real alternative.  I have tried doing
what you suggest using an old screen bought cheaply.  My first attempt
using what I thought was a sharp scriber resulted in extremely coarse lines
when viewed through the viewfinder.  I am not sure what an Xacto knife is,
but I made another attempt using a double edged razor blade (the type used
in old fashioned "safety" razors) drawn lightly across the surface as you
suggest.  This seems to work well.

I suspect from experience that the 2 series screens are not as tough as the
one series and may pick up blemishes if badly handled.  This may preclude
actually placing a straight edge on the screen surface.  I have been
thinking about fixing the blade and moving the screen.  The blade could be
fixed to some type of shaft so that it pivots up & down with no lateral
movement, and counterbalanced so that it rests lightly on the screen to be
engraved. A macro focusing rail fixed to the bench top with a custom made
jig to hold the screen could be used to move the screen.  If 2 focussing
rails were used together at right angles (like a compound vice used with a
bench drill), re-positioning the screen for the subsequent parallel grid
lines could be achieved easily and with precision.

The advantage of this is that the spacing and layout of the grid lines can
be custom made to suit the user.

I haven't much time to put this into practice at the moment but I'll
certainly give it more thought.

Ross Waite