Re: [OM] Focusing screen characteristics: OM 2-x series

Subject: Re: [OM] Focusing screen characteristics: OM 2-x series
From: Chip Stratton <chipstrat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 07:12:42 -0700 (PDT)
Here is my concern, when using a fixed aperture lens
or any other lens at its maximum aperture -

Using only the matte, how can you visually be certain
you are at the precise focus? At the resolution of the
viewfinder/matte, you might be as 'in focus' as you
can visually determine, yet when the resulting image
on film is printed, at say 8x10 or larger, you find
that your focus point wasn't exactly where you thought
it was. Obviously, small focusing errors can be
covered when you are able to shoot at a smaller
aperture than you focus at, but under these
circumstances you don't have this luxury.

I can't imagine there is something special about the
matte that 'magnifies' focusing errors - am I wrong?

Chip