[OM] OM-2 battery short

Subject: [OM] OM-2 battery short
From: Tom Curlee <t_curlee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 16:51:54 PDT
I recently picked up a clean OM-2 body super cheap. It was sold 'as-is', i.e. wouldn't work. Of course there weren't any batteries in it so I was hopeful. I put in new batteries and it worked perfectly, but then wouldn't work at all a few minutes later. I pulled the batteries and found that there was a .25 Amp load on the battery! Later I found that the load varies between 2.5 to 5 Ohms across the battery terminals when the shutter is cocked.

I (don't listen, John H. :-)) pulled off the top and bottom covers and poked, prodded, pulled, moved, etc., etc. (about 3 hours worth of etcs.) and found that the short goes from around 150 Ohms when shutter is released in B to the 2.5 - 5 Ohms when shutter is cocked. The heavy load starts when the wind lever is just barely moved.

The area causing the short appears to be to the right of the lens (when looking at the lens from the front). From the bottom, pushing a vertical linkage (part of the cocking mechanism)forward will cause the short to go away (well, to about 1 MOhm), pushing the other way it goes to full load. I suspect that I can get to the area causing the short if I can remove the lens mount assembly, shutter ring and all.

The question is, can I peel back the leatherette covering, remove the 4 mounting screws, and rotate the whole lens mount/shutter ring assembly up and out (still connected) without disconnecting the shutter string and wiring?

Any suggestions or info??

Thanks, Tom