RE: [OM] Need info on OM dedicated Sunpak 433D

Subject: RE: [OM] Need info on OM dedicated Sunpak 433D
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 11:35:03 -0800
Responding to Rand E. Tomcala's query, Brian P. Huber wrote:

>Rand,
>Dedicated module for Olympus/433D is OT-1D.  It simply
>screws to bottom of flash.  There are no settings on the module.

One or two other distinguished Zuiks made similar comments wrt
this strobe and Sunpak modules.  I believe there is some confusion
regarding this issue, so pls allow me to clarify.

The Sunpak 433D is a fixed mount, "single system dedicated" flash,
i.e. it comes pre-configured/dedicated for a specific camera, and
this configuration is not supposed to be user modifiable (although
it may be possible to do so with some spare parts from Sunpak).

The OT-1D (OM) interface module is one of the numerous dedicated
TTL modules which Sunpak offers for its line of "multi-dedicated"
strobes, such as the 444D, the 622 Super, and the two ring flashes.
These modules _are_ user interchangeable.

Having said that, I concur with other Zuiks' evaluation of the
433D flash: it's a very well designed, powerful and flexible unit,
which is highly effective on an Olympus body in OTF mode, on- or
off-camera.

However, beware that if used in Auto mode, the 433D must remain
either on camera or very close to it, as unlike the equally great
Vivitar 283/285 flash guns, the 433D light sensor is non-removable.
But then, the very popular Vivitars do not offer TTL dedication...
Oh well, no one said this was supposed to be easy, right?  :-) :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, California, USA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx