Re: [OM] Batteries/readylights, projector bulbs, meaning of life

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries/readylights, projector bulbs, meaning of life
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:24:50 +0200
/*==============================

:     [Forwarded from an anonymous source]
:                                     *= Doris Fang =*

================================

This compilation of replies to totally unrelated threads that recently passed
the list gives me the feeling that William S. is still watching us...

================================

:The OM-1 was Olympus's attempt to produce an SLR equivalent of the Leica.
:Several Leica lenses are collapsible. When shoved into the  camera body, the
:camera becomes thin enough to fit into a coat or jacket pocket.

:A collapsible lens wouldn't work very well with an SLR -- you'd smash the
:mirror. So Olympus created the 40/2, a very shallow lens.

According to Olympus, the 40mm/F2 was "the revival of the great Zuiko 38mm/F2.8
lens" for the PEN F, a very thin and small combination indeed. I don't know how
heavy the early Leicas, or the PEN F+38/2.8 were, but I do know that an
OM-1+40/2 definitely is too heavy to comfortably wear in a pocket. The
combination *looks* very cute, though...

"Life's a piece of shit
When you look at at it" - Monthy Python