Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation
From: Marko Vrabec <marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:31:06 +0200
Richard Schaetzl wrote:

> Another projector maker is Braun, their top models are comparable to the
> Leica P600 models at an more modest price (1/2 to 2/3 of Leica price).
> Look for the Paximat and avoid the Novamat models. There are very good
> lenses available for this projectors, comparable or even better than the
> Colorplan, made by Doctar Optics.

We have recently purchased the Braun 250 C-AF model, and it is indeed a
well build and reliable projector. Incidentally, I was browsing through
the recent issue of Color Foto magazine, and they have selected Braun as
a price/performance leader (against Reflecta, Leica and Kindermann).

Braun projectors seem to be quite a bit cheaper than their Kindermann
equivalents. The advantage of Kindermann models, besides their really
silent operation, is the spare lamp, mounted inside the projector, which
can be used to change the original lamp by a simple twist of the button
(really useful if your lamp decides to blow off in the middle of your
carefully prepared show in front of the audience). But for a 250W model
with built-in fader for dissolve projections, the price of a Braun can't
be beat. And besides accepting 5 different types of straight slide
trays, Brauns also take Paximat carousell type trays.

> An projector is the equivalent to the taking camera. So someone should
> choose projector and lens as carefully as one has choosen other photo
> equipment. To me it seems reasonably to spend as much for projector and lens
> as one has spend for an camera with lens.

Absolutely. There is no comparison between the picture of that $10
plastic fingerprinted and dusted generic lens included with the
projector, and the real glass thing (costing $150 and up, at least in
Europe).

We have got the Braun Ultralit 85mm/2.8 lens with the build-in aperture.
The slides really shine! (and as a downside you occasionally discover
that your favorite slide is not as sharp as you thought it is :-(.

Regarding the aperture, my experience is that on a 250W lamp the lens
shouldn't be stopped down beyond 5.6 for a reasonably bright picture in
a darkened room. The aperture 5.6 unfortunately does not provide enough
depth of field to compensate totally for the slide curvature, but it
nevertheless improves the sharpness of the picture. This, however,
requires to burn the lamp at full steam (the projector allows for
continuous adjustment of the light level of the lamp), which shortens
the life-time of the lamp and probably of your slides as well due to
increased heat.

br,

Marko Vrabec
Kamnik, Slovenia