Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:48:08 EDT
Thanks Richard for an interesting history of all the amalgamations in the
German projector industry and the warnings on the "cheap" Leica's.
Incidently do you know who actually made Kodak's top end AV projectors ?

Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx also wrote:

<< The Pradovit Color 2 don´t need an special condenser. The standard
 condenser is designed to be used with lenses from 50-200mm.
 So I would assume, your, very similar projector, won´t need new
 condensors. Your projector manuall should answer that. >>

I bought my Pradovit Color used so I don't have the manual but I opened up
the top cover and checked the condenser assembly which is easily removable as
a unit without needing unscrewing or anything. It has stamped on it a range
from 60..120 which I assume means that the condensor is designed for that
range of focal lengths.  I also seem to remember replacing a Leica condenser
assembly when using a long lens (200mm?) in a large hall.  I know my Rollei
specifically used different condensers for different focal length lenses. I
think the issue is mainly one of brightness, so anything works but.. If you
want to utilize the light most efficiently for the brightest possible image
then the condenser needs to be set up to focus the light through the lens
aperture. Some enlargers and projectors used to have a setup procedure to
optimize filament position to maximize light throughput for the particular
lens. Interestingly the Leitz projector I have has a beautifully made set of
lamp position adjusters so I would be interested to know if they described
using a test "hole" slide for setting up the lamp in the instruction manual.
(Richard ?)

As far as reliabiltiy of used projectors : The rubber belts driving the fans
need periodic replacement (Pradovit is very easy to replace, Rollei and Zeis
Ikon not so easy.) Also the dampers on the changer mechanism usually rot
causing them to become more noisey with age. The Pradovit I have needed a
small Foam Rot replacement (easy) and a rubber stop replacement. The focusing
mechanisms seem to require periodic cleaning and lubrication or the (auto)
focus gets erratic as dust is sucked through by the fan and accumulates on
the grease. The Pradovit has very large gears that are much better than the
other projectors in this respect. This is probably because they are designed
to allow heavier longer metal encased lenses to be used.

I could not agree more with the various comments about a good camera needs a
good slide projector. Now where is that elusive one of a kind Olympus slide
projector with all its unique features :1000W bulb ,F1.8 zoom lens, vario
condensor,completely silent and as small and light as a penF ?

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx