[OM] OM4T fill flash

Subject: [OM] OM4T fill flash
From: KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:34:22 EDT
From: WKato@xxxxxxx

I still keep thinking about the fill-flash quandry and want to throw out a
possible solution.

The F280 has a maximum range dependent on the F stop. So if you either
position yourself beyond this range or stop down the aperture enough so that
the F280 poops out (aiming for a 1 stop underexposure for fill-flash), will
\-----
----------
I have been reading everything I can about the OM4t and F280 (which I both
have).

In one example the use the 4t in both normal ttl and FP modes both at 1/60!!
In the TTL mode, the dancing subject is frozen, in the FP mode the same
subject has blurred hands (and breasts!) due to movement.

So the 4t seems to work below 1/60th in both flash modes (the photographer
can select with the flick of a switch) then automatically switch to FP mode
above 1/60th as long as the flash selector is on FP mode.

This is all well and good, but it is disconserting to see 'underexposed'
flash in the viewfinder and still get a good photo after all.  It's too much
'by gosh and by golly' for serious work.  Also, to overcome this it would
seem to me flash output could have been adjusted; but I guess distance to
subject will be the only way to do this and it is not very scientific.

Cheers

Ken M