Re: [OM] OM1 Meter problems

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1 Meter problems
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 02:57:30 EDT
Wayne Shumaker wrote in connection with his problem OM2N :

"  Now that I have freed the aperture control, there is
not enough spring left to pull it back and operate normally. My
question is if this is repairable? Is there a seperate spring besides
the small cords that attach to this ring? Or is the spring broken?"

Wayne,
       The OM2 N is somewhat different from the OM1 in that the ASA dial sets
the film speed electrically not via mechanical coupling to the meter as in
the OM1.
        Your problem sounds like it may be that the cord mechanically
coupling the aperture ring to the meter has jumped off one or more of the
pulleys and is binding so that the cord tensioning spring cannot adequately
tension the cord with the added friction. (there are 4 pulleys I believe in
the OM2)
         In the OM1 there are even more pulleys that could cause this problem
with both the ASA and the aperture mechanically coupled.
        For the original question about stuck ASA setting on the OM1 it could
be a similar string problem or maybe the top plate was removed and when
replaced the ASA dial was not correctly lined up with the top of the meter
mechanism. This would force the meter to rotate to one end of its travel and
remain there if the ASA dial was then rotated. Just a guess since I have
always marked the meter so I could assemble it correctly when putting back
the top plate!

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx