Re: [OM] Flassh, batteries power, ect.

Subject: Re: [OM] Flassh, batteries power, ect.
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:03:54 GMT
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:51:12 -0700, Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: [OM] Flassh, batteries power, ect.
>>
>>The biggest complaint I have with the T-32 system on loaction is the
>>lack of a 3rd party power source...
>>
>>If anyone knows a good power source for the T-32 that will work like a
>>Lumadyne let me know.
>
>The hardest part is the connector. If anyone knows a reasonably cheap
>source of these connectors, please let me know!

The 3 prong female connector can be found on the Olympus T-series
adapter from Quantum for their Turbo Pack.
And of course on the Olympus AC adapter 2 and 3 ... ;-)

>Once you have the connector, it's pretty easy to make an AC power source
>out of about $15 of Radio Shack parts. You need a 150 VAC transformer, a
>250PIV bridge rectifier, a 250V filter capacitor, and misc bits like case,
>AC cord, hook-up wire, terminal strips, etc.

So you reproduced the AC adapter 2. But together with the needed
adapter cord, you will probably not be cheaper off than when buying
this Oly adapter... or am I wrong here?

>I've successfully coaxed a cheap AC power inverter into giving me 200VDC,
>which then feeds into the T-32 to give you a rapid-cycling 12VDC power
>source. I use it with lead acid gel-cels in the field with the T-10 ring
>light, also. It is not a project for the inexperienced. I had to re-wind a
>high-frequency transformer, and I built the proper T-32 connector with some
>pins for Molex connectors and hot glue! It's ugly, but it works. It will
>re-charge a fully emptied T-32 in under 3 seconds or so.

This is about what the Quantum Turbo pack does too, isn't it? Nice
work, Jan. I paid $240 for my Turbo's, including charger, cables and
the lot. Your device will be much cheaper!

>While I was at it, I should have also popped a 6VDC regulator IC in there
>for modelling lights. Hmmm... next time I crack the case open...

Another nice link for T-10/8 owners might be the following:
http://w-3productions.com/batterypack/

Enjoy it.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.