Re:[OM] OM to EOS Mount Adapter (Day 3)

Subject: Re:[OM] OM to EOS Mount Adapter (Day 3)
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:43:10 -0400
This morning I tested the mount adapter with the Polaroid back for my reflection
photography.  I was using the 135mm/3.5 with the B300 (x1.7) to see what kind of
Polaroid proofs I would get.  It is too bad that I cannot operate the EOS in
manual metering mode when the Polaroid back is on.  The only exposure mode I
have used has been aperture-priority automatic exposure with exposure
compensation. My objective is to discern the effect of different shutter speeds.
Since the OM has very little electronics and nothing on the back door, I would
expect that the utility of the Polaroid back on the OM system is better.

I used the manual aperture stopping down on the mount adapter for these tests so
I would not need to push in the preview button while exposure.  In other words,
with this setting on the mount adapter, the aperture is always prefired.

Since I used the wide-open aperture throughout my shooting, I did not have to
worry about the aperture today.  Since telephoto lenses are often used with
aperture wide open, this set-up (manual aperture rather than preset) is easy to
use.  You just let the EOS-1n decide on correct exposure and most of the time it
is correct according to my Polaroid test.

This morning I found it useful to use Polaroid tests of a given reflection
scene.  When I saw nothing interesting, I tried another area of a stream from
the same spot or move on to another spot.  This was supposed to be a sunny day,
but it turned out to be cloudy.  Despite the weather I headed to the stream and
I found some reflections were getting more light than the other.  Now I know I
should not rule out a cloudy weather altogether when I try to decide whether I
should head to the stream.  Normally I would not have gone, but since I rented
this Polaroid back which I would need to return on Monday, I forced myself to go
and see if there was anything worthy.  I took real photographs on my 4T based on
the Polaroid tests.

Now that I got used to the mount adapter, I had left it on overnight and put an
Olympus body cap.  Therefore I have a very interesting piece of the EOS body
which has the Olympus body cap in front.  This way I can put an OM lens off and
on without stopping to think.

Notice that I used the word the OM lens?  Olympus did make Zuiko lenses for
bodies other than the OM bodies.  I noticed that there are Zuiko lenses for the
old Mamiya 6.  Of course, all the OM lenses Olympus made are called Zuiko, but
not all the Zuiko lenses Olympus has ever made are for the OM bodies.

Due to the cloudy weather, my shutter speeds never exceeded beyond 1/100sec.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/